Hey New Yorkers – Check These Tips Before Decorating For The Holidays
Welcome to the holiday season! Are your decorations up yet? Last weekend, my wife and I took advantage of the weather and decorated the outside of our home.
Granted, we don't overdo it, so it was a pretty easy and quick setup. I admit, I'm not really a fan of putting up holiday decorations, and certainly don't enjoy taking them down either.
The same goes for decorating the Christmas tree. But my wife and I have an understanding. I assemble the fake tree, she puts the decorations in their proper place...according to her. And that's fine with me.
Now, with all that in mind, now is a good time to remind you of some safety tips to remember for the holiday season when it comes to decorations, trees - live and fake, and all that wiring as well.
Tips For Holiday Safety From The Johnson City Police Department
The Johnson City Police Department notes that almost half of holiday decoration fires occur because decorations are placed too close to a heat source. Holiday decorations can increase the risk of fire in homes. The JCPD offers these tips:
- Check holiday lights each year for frayed wires or excessive wear.
- Throw away light strands with frayed or pinched wires.
- Don't link more than three strands of holiday lights together.
- If you have a live tree, water it daily to prevent it from becoming dry, and keep it away from heat sources and room exits.
- Rather than displaying real flame candles, consider using battery-operated flameless candles. But if you do display real candles, be sure they are in stable holders and place them where they can't be easily knocked down or fall over.
- Also, never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Only use decorations that are flame-retardant or not flammable.
- Always follow the manufacturer's guidelines.
Have fun, and have a great, safe, holiday season!
LOOK: This Washington Cabin is Straight Out of an 'I Spy' Book
Gallery Credit: Danielle Kootman
VHS Tapes That Sold For Shocking Amounts of Money
The Definitive List of The Oddest, Strangest and Downright Filthy Town Names In Every State
Gallery Credit: Rob Carroll