Before I got pregnant with my son, I was obsessed with pumpkin spice. Like, obnoxiously obsessed. I would go so far as to save coupons and set money aside so that I could scoop up and hoard pumpkin spice scented and flavored anything and everything all year round, not just in the fall. But then something awful happened.

Out of nowhere, the smell of anything spiced instantly started to make me feel sick. Stupid hormones. I'm almost five years postpartum and to this day, the smell of pumpkin spice or ant spice for that matter makes me so stuffed up. I can't breathe out of my nose and my eyes get all watery. I thought that it would go away once my hormones settled down, but I'm still not able to taste or smell things like pumpkin spice without feeling like I'm going to die.

My heart is sad, but my wallet is happy.

I'm not saying that it's not worth it, but did you know that sucking down just one pumpkin spice latte means that you've just ingested as many carbs as you would if you were to eat a bagel? Also, when you drink just one pumpkin spice latte, you will have consumed two times the recommended daily dose of sugar. But wait, there's more...your wallet is definitely lighter because a pumpkin spice latte costs about a dollar more than a regular latte.

Although I can't eat, drink, or smell spiced pumpkin anything, I do miss it. What I don't miss are all of the really nasty things tossed into that frothy mug of deliciousness. According to Refinery 29, "Only about 10% of the ingredients in the pumpkin-spice flavoring are natural spices. The remaining 90% is — you guessed it — a blend of synthetic (and sneaky) chemicals."  If you'd like to see more reasons to stay away from a pumpkin spice latte, be my guest.

[via Refinery 29]