Demonstration Outside Binghamton Bars After Assault Allegations
A section of Court Street in Binghamton was closed to traffic during a protest as city police investigate allegations involving the owners of three downtown bars.
A march and demonstration occurred Saturday night, the day after detectives announced they had been "actively investigating a November 28 incident involving the owners of The Colonial."
Protesters gathered in front of The Colonial and Dos Rios restaurants on Court Street. They chanted as they walked down State and Hawley streets, at one point passing the Stone Fox restaurant.
The three businesses have been closed in recent days following social media posts alleging people associated with the establishments were involved in sexual assault incidents.
A member of the group that owns the restaurants declined to answer questions from WNBF News. He returned a call on Friday afternoon and said "no comment on anything" before hanging up.
After the march, several speakers addressed a crowd in front of the Court Street restaurants. Some described incidents of sexual harassment and assault, as well as other inappropriate behavior by the operators of the businesses.
Christmas trees in front of Dos Rios were knocked down. One tree was dragged to an entrance of The Colonial, where someone used black spray paint to scrawl the word "Rapists" on the door.
Binghamton police Sunday morning said they were not aware of any arrests related to the demonstration.
Downtown Binghamton Demonstration
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.