Binghamton Restaurants Under Sex Abuse Investigations Reopen
The popular downtown Binghamton restaurants and night spots that had been at the center of accusations on social media of sexual assault, prompting a police investigation, are back in business.
Lengthy postings on Facebook the weekend of January 7 attributed to The Colonial, noted the seriousness of the allegations and said the business has hired a law firm from outside the county to guide operations under a revised management team.
Three Binghamton establishments, popular with Binghamton University students, had been accused of harboring activities that included some employees engaging in the sexual assault of women on the properties. Once the accusations were made public, the restaurants closed before Christmas with an attempted reopening days later. That was called off as public outcry about the allegations turned into an organized protest.
Business management has said the accusations are being taken seriously and they are cooperating with local law enforcement agencies investigating the claims.
Police are asking anyone with information about credible accusations to contact them at (607) 227-7080.
According to published accounts, Hawley Street Hospitality jointly owns the Colonial, Dos Rios and the Stone Fox, which were all closed after being named in those November allegations. The investigation is continuing. There have been no arrests.
50 Most Popular Chain Restaurants in America
14 Women From Binghamton Who’ve Made Their Mark on the World