Yard Sales Season is Here
All over Greater Binghamton the signs are popping up on trees, telephone poles, and other areas of visibility -- it's yard sale time.
Many of us can do without more stuff in our homes, but sometimes curiosity gets the best of us and we just have to stop and see what other stuff we can acquire.
Here's a few tips if you plan on hitting yard sales and multiple sales in one place:
- Get there early to get the best stuff AND many times if you are around at the very end of the sale you can get merchandise that the seller just wants to get rid of rather than haul it back with them.
- Make a list of what you’re looking for. Example: Lawn equipment, DVD’s. compact discs, books, old toys, etc...
- Have cash in different denominations, most people are funny about checks, and credits card machines are almost non-existent.
- Have an idea on how much you want to spend on a particular item; sometimes being diligent will actually work in your favor with some sellers.
- Have your smart phone with you to look up merchandise, back in the day we couldn’t do this, but in 2016 most of us carry the internet in our pocket.
- If you can’t get a seller to budge on the price, ask them to think about it and stop back before you leave to see if they have reconsidered your offering price.
- Make offers on bulk items. Example: "I’ll give you _____for those CD’s and that toaster"
- Have fun and smile, no one likes a grouchy pessimistic buyer.
Good Luck and Happy Shopping!