This Is Terrifying! Hippo Charges At Boat [WATCH]
Did you know that even though they look cute and friendly, hippos are arguably the biggest threat (animal-wise) to those living on the continent of Africa? They are responsible for around 500+ human deaths per year!
A few more hippo fun facts, from ScienceKids.com:
- The hippopotamus is generally considered the third largest land mammal (after the White rhinoceros and elephant).
- The name hippopotamus means ‘river horse’ and is often shortened to hippo.
- The closest relations of the hippopotamus are surprisingly cetaceans such as whales and dolphins. Scientists believe this family of animals diverged in evolution around 55 million years ago.
- Although hippos might look a little chubby, they can easily outrun a human.
- A male hippopotamus is called a ‘bull’. A female hippopotamus is called a ‘cow’. A baby hippo is called a ‘calf’.
- Hippos typically live for around 45 years.
I wonder if this one was 'hungry-hungry'? Ba-dum tsss!