Binghamton Police Confirm Investigation of Owners of The Colonial
UPDATE - Friday 4 p.m.
City police acknowledge they've been investigating a November 28 incident involving the owners of The Colonial restaurant in downtown Binghamton.
Detective captain Cory Minor issued a news release late Friday afternoon. In it, he said police are aware that "additional allegations are being made on social media."
Minor said anyone with information may contact the detective division at (607) 772-7080.
The statement also said: "It's important for the public to know that, as with any serious criminal allegation, the Binghamton Police Department is taking this matter seriously and investigating all allegations to the fullest extent possible."
One of the owners of three downtown Binghamton restaurants would not say when the businesses would resume operations.
The Colonial, Dos Rios Cantina, and the Stone Fox Bar & Pizza establishments were closed Thursday following online sexual assault allegations involving employees of the businesses.
Binghamton police detective Captain Cory Minor on Friday afternoon said no arrests had been made in connection with the reported allegations. He declined to discuss any investigation involving the restaurants.
A post that appeared briefly Thursday on The Colonial Facebook page indicated the business was aware of "rumors" alleging "abhorrent activities at our restaurants."
The post, which was removed, said "these allegations are deeply disturbing." It added that while no one has been charged with a crime, "the individuals in question have been placed on leave."
A Friday Facebook post said The Colonial would reopen Friday evening "for normal business hours."
That post also said: "Regarding the allegations at hand, We will not comment on baseless claims. Nor will we comment on cancel culture. As a professional organization we will continue to operate our establishments in a manner that ensures the safety and security of not only our staff but all patrons
We are very grateful for the continuous support from the community."
A partner in the group that owns the restaurants returned a call from WNBF News but declined to discuss the matter. When asked whether the restaurants would reopen Friday, he said "no comment on anything" and hung up.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: email@example.com.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.
The 100 Best Places to Live on the East Coast
LOOK: Stunning animal photos from around the world