Binghamton After-Hours Club May Be Closed Following Shooting
The city of Binghamton is moving to shut down an after-hours establishment following a report that shots had been fired in a parking lot.
Police said some gunshots were fired near the building at 333 Clinton Street around 2:45 a.m. Sunday. Officers found no one who had been injured.
Mayor Richard David on Tuesday said legal action will be taken against an illegal club that's been operating at the building.
In a news release, the mayor said a zoning citation had been issued to the property owner and the operator of the after-hours business. He did not identify the owner of the building or the person who has been running the illegal club.
David said police also investigated a "shots fired" incident at the site on October 17. He said police have responded to 17 incidents at the property this year, including reports of assault, drug use and loud music. Many of the calls occurred after 4 a.m.
The mayor did not indicate how long police have been aware that an after-hours club has been in operation in the building.
Property records indicate the building has three apartments and is owned by a Binghamton man. He could not be reached for comment.
One man who lives in the building said he was sleeping at the time the shots were fired on Sunday. He and other residents declined to discuss the incident or the action announced by the mayor.
The property is almost across the street from the notorious 17 East nightclub that was shut down by the city in 2014 following shootings and gang activity.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org or (607) 772-8400 extension 233.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.