Three Departments Battle Fire at Endwell Home
An early-morning blaze caused heavy damage to a garage at a town of Union residence.
The fire at 2612 Robbins Street in Endwell was reported shortly after 5:30 a.m. Monday.
Endwell fire chief Tom Palazzo said his department was assisted at the scene by units from Union Center and Endicott.
Palazzo said the garage was fully engulfed when the first fire units arrived. He said the blaze was extinguished after about 10 minutes but firefighters continued to put out hot spots for an hour.
The chief said the residents of the home smelled smoke and discovered the fire. He said no injuries were reported. The family's pets - two dogs and two cats - were not hurt.
Firefighters were able to keep the blaze from spreading to the home, which was separated from the garage by a breezeway. The contents of the garage were destroyed.
Investigators determined the fire was linked to ashes from a bonfire that had been placed in a plastic container in the garage.
This story was updated to include the cause of the fire.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.