Firefighters Extinguish Two-Alarm Blaze at Endicott Building
A fire caused by a carelessly-discarded cigarette damaged a large apartment house in Endicott.
The blaze at 1606 Tracy Street was reported around 11:10 a.m. Thursday.
A second-alarm was called in shortly after Endicott fire units arrived at the scene. The Endwell fire department assisted village firefighters.
The owner of the building said a resident reported the blaze when she smelled smoke. He said someone apparently tossed a cigarette down a ventilation shaft, igniting the fire in some debris at the basement level.
The fire was extinguished after several minutes and damage appeared to be confined to the shaft. No injuries were reported.
The owner estimated between 18 and 20 people live in the seven-unit building. He said two apartments were vacant.
The Red Cross assisted residents who were displaced by the fire.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: email@example.com
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.