The simple action of shutting a door may have kept an electrical fire in a basement from spreading to the rest of the house in the Town of Chenango September 7.

99.1 The Whale logo
Get our free mobile app

Broome County emergency officials say the blaze at around 1:32 p.m. Tuesday, September 7 at 324 Dimmock Hill Road went to a second alarm but additional crews were held back after the Chenango Fire Company found the blaze basically put itself out due to lack of oxygen.

A basement door had been shut, cutting off the flow of air and supply of oxygen for the flames.

There were no reports of injuries.

VIRTUAL TOUR: Look Inside Downtown Binghamton’s Secret Mansion


LOOK: How Halloween has changed in the past 100 years

More From 99.1 The Whale