Presidential Inauguration Trivia
Today is the second time that Barack Obama takes the Oath of office to be President of the United States. This is fun fact #1! The President must take the Oath on January 20th. Obama did so, yesterday, in a private ceremony.
Here are some more pieces of trivia. Maybe you can win a bar bet with these:
1. Chester A. Arthur, Teddy Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge and Lyndon B. Johnson were all Vice Presidents who took the Oath of Office after the death of a President. Due to the protocol of that situation, they all were not in Washington,DC at the time they took office. Roosevelt took his oath in Buffalo.
2. The first Inauguration to photographed was James Buchanan’s. (I’m proud of this because I’m a descendant).
3. Lyndon Johnson was the firs and only President to be sworn in by a woman (U.S. District Judge Sarah T. Hughes).
4. Calvin Coolidge was the first President to be sworn in by his father, a notary public. His oath was administered by former President and then Chief Justice Justice William Taft.
5. The Father of our Country knew how to be short, sweet and to the point. His Inauguration address was only 135 words! I bet he would’ve love Twitter.
Got any you know? Share away.