A man who had been living in a camper near the Chenango River in Binghamton was seriously hurt when a propane tank exploded.

Firefighters were called to the rear of the Binghamton Plaza around 1:05 p.m. Friday as the blaze quickly engulfed the vehicle.

The man - who was reported to be 74 years old - banged on a back door at the Rent-A-Center store.

Binghamton firefighters extinguished a blaze in a camper. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

A store manager said the man's hands had been badly burned and he also appeared to have sustained burns on his forehead.

The manager said the injured man told him he had been working on a propane tank in the camper and "I messed up."

Fire department Captain Tim Dahulich said the the man apparently was trying to light a stove but forgot the propane tank was turned on.

The man apparently had been living in the camper parked next to the business for about two months.

A Superior Ambulance transported the man to Wilson Medical Center in Johnson City. His condition was not immediately available.

An ambulance leaving the Binghamton Plaza with an injured man on January 18, 2019. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Dahulich said firefighters had the blaze under control is less than 15 minutes. The fire did not damage the Binghamton Plaza building.

Thick black smoke from the fire could be seen by motorists on Interstate 81 and Route 17 near Kamikaze Curve.

Firefighters on the east side of the Binghamton Plaza on January 18, 2019. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.