3 Southern Tier Teams To Play In The New York State Football Championship Round
I consider our community one that is proud of its local sports scene. We have so many great sports teams in the Southern Tier.
We get to enjoy both professional and amateur sports, including the Binghamton Black Bears hockey team, the Rumble Ponies baseball team, college sports from Binghamton University, and SUNY Broome, plus the many various sports programs at our local high schools, and area youth leagues as well.
And when any of our local teams make the playoffs, we stand behind and root for these sports teams. This time of year, high school football playoffs are in full swing. The Section 4 high school league has three local representatives playing in the championship games this weekend at the JMA Wireless Dome (formerly the Carrier Dome) in Syracuse, New York.
I have attended a few local high school football team championship games in the past, and if you have as well, you probably agree with me that win or lose, it's such a great time to cheer on our local teams in person.
Root On Our Local High School Football Teams
This weekend, the Maine-Endwell Spartans, Union-Endicott Tigers, and Tioga Central School Tigers will be playing in their class championship game.
The lineup from the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) is as follows:
- Class D - Section 4 champion Tioga High School Tigers will tackle Section 2 champions Cambridge/Salem High School on Saturday, December 3rd at 12 Noon.
- Class A - Section 4 champion Union-Endicott Tigers play against the Section 1 champions, Somers High School on Saturday, December 3rd at 3 pm.
- Class B - Section 4 champion Maine-Endwell Spartans will face the Section 1 champs Pleasantville on Sunday, December 4th at 12 Noon.
Other New York State High School Football Championship Games This Weekend
- Class C - Saturday, December 3rd at 6 pm between Section 3 champions General Brown High School, and Section 9 champs O'Neill High School.
- Class AA - Sunday at 3 pm between Section 6 champs, Lewis J. Bennett/Olmsted/Middle Early College/East Football, and Section 9 champs, Newburgh Free Academy.
EYES IN THE SKY: 10 Greater Binghamton School Stadiums From Above