2018 Binghamton Murder Conviction Upheld
A Brooklyn man, convicted in 2018 of murder in Binghamton, is not getting out of prison any time soon.
The Broome County District Attorney’s Office says the New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division has upheld the conviction of 27-year-old Jabari Ashe and his sentence of 25 years to life in prison for gunning down Tyquan Gumbs behind a home on Fayette Street.
Investigators had said Ashe shot Gumbs on the evening of April 28, 2017 since he believed the Binghamton man had been involved in killing a friend of Ashe’s, Brandon Hernandez, days earlier at an off-hours club on Orton Avenue.
According to news accounts at the time, 26-year-old Tyquan Gumbs was shot on Fayette Street and the victim’s family offered emotional testimony during the June, 2018 sentencing and Judge Joseph Cawley commented on Ashe’s cold lack of compassion, kicking Gumbs’ body after shooting him.
Ashe had been sentenced to a prison term of 25 years to life in prison on his conviction of Murder in the Second Degree and a concurrent prison term of 15 years followed by five years post release supervision for his conviction on Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree.
Ashe appealed, claiming the verdict was not supported by sufficient evidence.
The Appellate Division determined that, even with the challenges presented by Ashe, there still was sufficient evidence for the jury to reach a guilty verdict and that the rulings and jury instructions during the trial were proper.
The District Attorney’s Office notes the process was “long and arduous” but insured justice for Gumbs and his family.