Binghamton DPW Workers Sent to Hospital After Hazmat Incident
A hazardous materials team was called to deal with a chemical reaction that erupted in a garbage truck on Binghamton's West Side.
The trouble was reported around 8:40 a.m. Thursday in the back of the vehicle on West End Avenue just south of Floral Avenue.
Three Binghamton public works employees were sent to Lourdes Hospital for evaluation after they complained of dizziness following exposure to chlorine gas.
Deputy fire chief Stephen Faughnan said the workers detected a burning odor as they collected trash. When the back of the truck was opened, they observed a white vapor cloud.
Faughnan said several fire department rigs were sent to deal with the situation. He said the exothermic reaction caused some material in the truck to melt but there was no fire.
Floral Avenue was closed between Grand Boulevard and Carhart Avenue while the hazmat operation was underway.
Firefighters in protective suits retrieved the materials generating the fumes. It appeared chlorine had come into contact with antifreeze, causing a chemical reaction.
Fire units left the scene around 12:15 p.m.
This story has been updated with additional information from the Binghamton Fire Department.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: email@example.com
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.