Discarded Smoking Material Blamed for Johnson City Apartment House Fire
Carelessly discarded smoking materials are blamed for causing an early morning fire at a mutli-family home in Johnson City February 2.
Village firefighters were called to a report of a porch fire at 51 Union Street at around 3:25 a.m. and found the fire extending from the exterior of the two-story house into the walls.
Two adults and a child became trapped on the second floor and firefighters helped them escape the fire through a window.
The occupants of the first-floor apartment were able to get out on their own.
There were no serious injuries, but medics had evaluated residents for breathing difficulties.
Officials looking into the cause of the fire determined smoking materials had been inappropriately disposed of on a porch.
Heavy fire damage could be seen at the rear of the house while there was damage to both the first and second floor apartments.
The Southern Tier Chapter of the American Red Cross was called in to assist the residents with housing and other basic needs.
THEN AND NOW: See the Evolution of the Southern Tier
35 Famous People With Ties to the Binghamton Area