Dealing With Colds & Flu in the Workplace
This is the time of the year when colds and the Flu are spreading through homes and workplaces, bringing with it the ill side effects of coughing and sneezing.
Coughing and sneezing alone can spread germs all over the area, and the things we’re doing while these actions take place can be extremely unsanitary and disgusting.
My blog today deals with cold and flu habits that are gross and unsanitary.
A recent Harris Poll survey of over 2000 adults in the USA found the five grosses things people do when they have a cold is wipe their running nose on their hands or sleeve.
- Wiping runny nose on hands or sleeve
- Not covering mouth/nose when sneezing
- Not covering mouth when coughing
- Not washing hands frequently
- Leaving dirty tissues on desk
Some other gross habits include, touching common areas when you’re sick, sniffling without blowing your nose, and spitting into the garbage or sink when you could up mucous.
I don’t like to miss work unless I’m so sick I can’t get out of bed, so I come to work prepared to get in and get out as soon as I can, as to not infect people with my illness.
- I bring a box of tissues with me
- Disinfectant Spray (Lysol or other product that kills germs)
- Cough drops to limit my hacking
- Water bottle to fill up and drink throughout my day
- Non Drowsy sinus tablets to help relieve stuffy or runny nose.
I find that my coworkers appreciate the efforts I am taking to help prevent the spread of germs and reducing the risk of sickness in the work place.