John Solak, who is running for a seat on the Binghamton City School District board of education, has filed a police complaint after an incident at Recreation Park.

Solak said he was "physically attacked" and his cellphone was taken during the incident, which happened late Sunday afternoon.

A video recording Solak posted to Twitter shows a brief verbal interaction between him and an unidentified man who grabs the phone.

The man then holds the phone to show his face while saying: "We got John. He's a racist. Hey, this guy's a racist man. Don't vote for him."

Solak eventually got his phone back. He told WNBF News he filed a complaint at city police headquarters Monday morning and wants the man arrested. He said he doesn't know the man's identity.

People had gathered at the West Side park Sunday to discuss racial justice issues.

Solak previously had been accused of posting racist comments on social media. He denied writing racist remarks.

Solak said after the park incident, he was evaluated at Lourdes Hospital because he was experiencing neck and back pain apparently caused as he tried to hold on to his phone.

John Solak recording people who marched past Binghamton High School on May 31, 2020. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.