Be Prepared for Winter Storms
The cold weather sometimes has a way of creeping up on us and if you’re not taking steps to prepare for the harsh temperatures that come with the winter months, you could be heading for trouble.
Winter storms, like the ones that hit Buffalo last year can be extremely harsh, much like January through March.
Most people winterize their homes and themselves, but many don’t even think about their vehicle breaking down in the middle of a deadly storm.
I thought this would be a good time to share some tips as to what you should have in your vehicle in case of a winter emergency.
• Make sure your car has a good battery and is equipped with the proper anti-freeze ratio.
• Don’t make it a habit to travel in bad weather without more than a half a tank of gas. If a winter storm or extreme cold warning is in effect, I always top off my tank.
• Keep a blanket and perhaps an old winter coat in the trunk.
• Have a flashlight and phone charger handy.
• No matter what time of year, you should always have a first-aid kit and flares in case of an accident
We never think things like this will happen to us, until it does. The holidays are a busy time for break downs with many people traveling to visit loved ones. Be safe this winter and take the precautions necessary to ensure the safety of you and your family when traveling in your vehicle.