Will Prop 1 Help the Southern Tier?
We all know the Southern Tier is in need of an economic shot in the arm. Tuesday, you will be voting on a possible "booster".
Proposition 1 is an amendment to the current gaming laws in New York. Here is what it is:
Proposal 1, An Amendment Authorizing Casino Gaming:
- If approved by New York State voters this November, Prop 1 will amend the state constitution to legalize Class III Gaming and establish four destination gaming resorts in three Upstate NY regions.
- Prop 1 will allow for a total of up to seven casinos for the purpose of promoting job growth, increasing aid to schools, and permitting local governments to lower property taxes through revenues generated.
- The State Gaming Commission will oversee the regulation of destination gaming resorts. It will appoint a board of individuals with finance and development expertise to evaluate applications which will be selected competitively, based on specific criteria:
- 70% will be based on economic activity and business development factors
- 20% on local impact and siting factors
- 10% on workforce factors
- Local support must also be demonstrated as a threshold application requirement
(info from http://www.voteyesforprop1.com/about-prop-1/)
The good news is, if passed, there would be at least 1 casino here in the Southern Tier. The bad news is that the majority of people who abuse gambling are on fixed incomes. The estimates are that about twenty-million dollars a year would be put into our economy every year.
This is a tough vote for you. What do you think?