Whale Bowl of Rock-n-Roll Day Two Results (Updated)
Day One is in the books for the 30th annual Whale Bowl of Rock-n-Roll. Part One of the Opening Round saw some close battles, some blowout battles and one upset (as far as we are concerned anyway.)
Wednesday features the second half of the Opening Round, so be sure to listen in and vote for your favorite rock artists and band to get to the next round. The phone number to call in your votes is 723-9996. Tune to 99.1 The Whale to find out when the voting and who the artists are each hour.
Here’s how Wednesday's second half of the Opening Round battles have played out so far:
9. Yes versus The Steve Miller Band. I'm a bit surprised at this outcome. Yes triumphed. It wasn't a blow-out, but maybe Steve Miller Band fans were busy online purchasing tickets to see the group at this year's Mountain Jam.
10. A battle of female rock heavyweights - Joan Jett and Pat Benatar. It's another battle I thought wold have gone the other way. Pat Benatar far outpaced Joan Jett and the Blackhearts in the voting process.
11. OK, here was a tight battle. Kiss and Styx. My money would have been on Kiss to win, and I was right. Although the margin of difference, vote-wise was two. It goes to show Styx is still a popular rock band.
12. Wow. Who was the person that lined up the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin in an Opening Round battle (Doug.) A tough battle indeed, but Led Zeppelin fans were very strong in their voting power over Stones fans, so that's how the battle went.
13. This battle featured The Who and Van Halen. If I had to vote, it would be a tough choice, although I am a huge fan of The Who. As for the band who won this round, the answer is in this sentence. OK, fine, I was just trying to be funny...it was The Who. Tough crowd.
14. Lynyrd Skynyrd against Bad Company. Yes, we love Bad Company and the many songs they have in their library, but c'mon...it's Lynyrd Skynyrd. Can you guess which of these two groups advanced? No hints here.
15. This could have been a close battle...but it wasn't between Pink Floyd and Boston. I suppose my vote would have been for Big Pink too. Congrats to Floyd for moving on to the next round.
16. The final Opening Round battle was between Motley Crue and Guns-N-Roses. Kind of an 80s/90s type battle going on. Voting kept the two artists close, but in the end, only one emerged victoriously, and that band moving on is, Guns-N-Roses.
Thanks again for your votes during the two day Whale Bowl of Rock-n-Roll Opening Round. Thursday will feature the Classic Rockin' 16 Round and Friday, you will be voting for the surivors in the Clasic Rock Final 8 Round, the Classic Rock Big 4 Round and finally the last two in the Whale Bowl Championship Round.