Whale Bowl Final Day Results (Updated)
So here we are. The final day of the 30th annual Whale Bowl of Rock-n-Roll. We've gotten through the Opening Roud and the Classic Rockin' 16 Round over the past three days, and have gathered a ton of votes from the Whale Nation. Thank you!
Today featured the Classic Rock Final 8 Round, the Classic Rock Big 4 Round and finally the Championship Round.
Here's how today's final round battles played out:
25. The Beatles against the Grateful Dead. An interesting matchup for sure. And what a battle it turned out to be. I think Doug Mosher was exhausted taking all those calls when the voting ended. And when the voting did end, it was The Beatles moving on to the next round.
26. The next Classic Rock Final 8 Round featured The Eagles and Queen. I think it's been a long time since The Eagles have gotten this far into the Whale Bowl of Rock-n-Roll. Would they continue that journey? Yes, they did.
27. The Battle of two fantastic bands. One group I have never seen get this far - Yes. The other, a veteran of semi-final and championship Whale Bowl rounds - Led Zeppelin. My thought would be a Zeppelin victory, but nope. Kudos to Yes and it's fan base. Yes moves on, denying Led Zeppelin another opportunity to get into the championship round as they had done in 2015 and 2016.
28. The last of the Classic Rock Final 8 Round was between Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pink Floyd. It doesn't get much more competitive than that. I certainly would have a tough time picking one band over the other. Some have asked if they can vote for both. Don't think that would work. In the beginning of the voting, Pink Floyd was taking control, but Skynyrd fans woke up, or just finished lunch and began to vote. The result? A race to finish with Lynyrd Skynyrd winning by a nose hair.
29. Onward and upward to the Classic Rock Big 4 Round. For the first of two battles, it'sThe Beatles and The Eagles. The Beatles were last this far into the competition in 2013 when they lost to Lynyrd Skynyrd for the championship title. Will this be another chance for them to get revenge, should they win this round and Lynyrd Skynyrd win the other round to advance to the final battle? Well, not this time. The Eagles are now in the Championship Round for the first time in 30 years. They will await the winner of the other battle between Yes and Lynyrd Skynrd.
30. Gotta give Yes kudos for making it this far.It's refreshing to know we have a lot of listeners who still appreciate the music of Yes. But, going up against the Skynyrd Nation is a tough run. Can you where this is going? The 30th annual Whale Bowl of Rock-n-Roll Championship round was to kick off around 3:45 pm between The Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
31. The Championship Round - Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Eagles. Never have The Eagles been in the Championship Round, until now. The are/were a great rock band. Lynyrd Skynyrd? Well, they haven't won several Whale Bowl Championships for nothing. And that's why they are the 2017 30th annual Whale Bowl of Rock-n-Roll Champions, again.
There you go. Another Whale Bowl in the books. Thanks again Whale Nation for making the 30th edition as fun as the 1st one way back in 1988 when we thought up this crazy idea. Yea, I was there. Hope to be here for the 31st edition, too. Rock on!