Saw Dust Fire Erupts at Apalachin Lumber Yard
Four fire departments were sent to an Apalachin lumber business to knock down a blaze that broke out in a kiln building.
The fire at R.J. Williams Lumber on Route 434 was reported around 5:45 a.m. Monday.
Apalachin fire chief Michael George said the blaze was fueled by saw dust which powers the kilns.
Apalachin firefighters were assisted by units from Owego, Southside and Campville. George estimated about 10,000 gallons of water was poured into the saw dust pit to extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported.
Rob Harris, head of maintenance for R.J. Williams Lumber, said the high winds over the weekend could have caused a back draft that may have sparked the blaze. He said the saw dust likely had been smoldering for several hours before the fire was discovered.
Harris said a backup oil fuel supply was being used to power the kilns following the blaze.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.