NYSEG Offers Winter Safety Advice
New York State Electric and Gas is urging customers to keep safe as blowing snow and frigid temperatures make for dangerous conditions.
NYSEG says the deep snow raises concerns that residents keep vents and chimneys for natural gas appliances clear of snow. The utility says deep drifts and piles of shoveled snow against buildings could block vents and cause a deadly buildup of carbon monoxide inside.
Residents should also be aware of electric and natural gas meters and avoid them when removing snow and ice from driveways and sidewalks. Never bury meters when shoveling, using a snow blower or plowing.
Never let snow and ice cleared from roofs to fall on electric or gas meters or related equipment.
To report a suspected carbon monoxide or natural gas problem, call 1-800-572-1121 or 911 from a neighbor’s phone.