Authorities have concluded their investigation into a fire on Binghamton's West Side that left five people homeless.

Last Wednesday's blaze at 22 Clarke Street has been ruled accidental. Captain Tim O'Neill, a fire investigator, said it appeared to be electrical in nature.

O'Neill said the fire originated in the basement of the two-story building. He said it probably was caused by overloaded wiring.

Firefighters at the scene of the blaze on Clarke Street. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

No injuries were reported in the late afternoon fire. The American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist two men and a woman who were forced from the apartment house by the blaze.

The fire, which was declared under control after about 30 minutes, caused moderate damage to the building.

A two-alarm fire damaged an apartment house at 22 Clarke Street on September 19, 2018. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.