Blaze Extinguished at Apalachin Fire Station
Firefighters responded to a blaze at the Apalachin Fire Station on Pennsylvania Avenue. [Bob Joseph/WNBF News][/caption]
The address for the fire call was familiar to Tioga County emergency responders: It was for a blaze at the Apalachin Fire Station on Pennsylvania Avenue.
The fire at Station One broke out around 7 p.m. Thursday.
Apalachin firefighters checked the station's exterior after the kitchen blaze. [Bob Joseph/WNBF News][/caption]
Fire Chief Michael George said the blaze in a kitchen on the second floor of the station was quickly extinguished.
George said firefighters were initially notified when the station's siren was activated but no call had been dispatched. He said the building's fire alarm is wired up to automatically sound the siren.
The chief said it appeared a nearby lightning strike triggered a problem with the electrical system in a stove. The issue apparently caused the stove to turn on and start producing heat.
A plastic thermos that had been left on the grill began to melt, producing smoke which caused the alarm to sound.
George said the fire was quickly put out with an extinguisher. A fan was set up to ventilate the kitchen.
There appeared to be no structural damage but firefighters went up to the station's roof to check for possible extensions of the blaze.
A plastic thermos left on a grill melted and generated smoke following an apparent electrical problem linked to a lightning strike. [Bob Joseph/WNBF News][/caption]For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.