A fire over the weekend that left a Binghamton family without a home for Christmas is being blamed on holiday lights.

WNBF News/Roger Neel Photo

City firefighters were called to an apartment house on Glenwood Avenue at around 10:30 p.m. December 1 and found a blaze that had started on a second floor back porch had spread into the house, damaging the apartment throughout and extending into the attic.

The family of six was able to escape, many of them through a second floor window and at least four were treated for minor injuries. The other occupants of the four-unit apartment house safely evacuated.