Contact Us

Nightclub Fire in Brazil Kills More Than 230 People

Brazil Nightclub Fire
Jefferson Bernardes, Getty Images

In a tragedy hauntingly reminiscent of the incident that killed more than 100 fans at a Great White concert in 2003, 233 people were killed early Sunday morning (Jan. 27) after fire swept through a nightclub in Santa Maria, Brazil.

Witnesses told the Associated Press that the fire at the Kiss nightclub began when members of the band Gurizada Fandangueira lit flares onstage, causing the soundproofing of the club’s roof to catch fire.

Guitarist Rodrigo Martins says the band started playing at 2:15 AM. “We had played around five songs when I looked up and noticed the roof was burning,” he states (quote via the Huffington Post). “It might have happened because of the Sputnik, the machine we use to create a luminous effect with sparks. It’s harmless, we never had any trouble with it.”

Martins adds that the band tried to stop the fire. “When the fire started, a guard passed us a fire extinguisher, the singer tried to use it but it wasn’t working.”

The flames engulfed the nightclub so quickly that there was little firefighters could do, witnesses report. Shirtless young clubgoers tried to help firefighters by hitting the exterior walls of the club with axes in a vain attempt to free those trapped inside, but the fire spread too rapidly and produced too much smoke. People who were attempting to escape through the club’s single exit were blocked by the bodies of the dead. 50 bodies were found inside a bathroom, leading investigators to believe that the thick smoke had confused trapped people into thinking the bathroom door was the club’s front door.

Authorities state that most of those who lost their lives died from asphyxiation and did not suffer serious burns. Accordion player Danilo Jacques, 28, was among those who perished in the blaze.

The Associated Press reports Sunday’s fire is the worst at a nightclub since December 2000. It is tragically similar to the 2003 fire at a nightclub called The Station in West Warwick, Rhode Island, in which pyrotechnics from the glam-rock band Great White set the ceiling’s soundproofing on fire, causing a blaze that swept the club. Great White guitarist Ty Longley was among the 100 who lost their lives that night.

Next: See the 10 Worst Concert Mishaps and Tragedies

More from the Whale

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://991thewhale.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on WAAL 99.1 FM quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on WAAL 99.1 FM quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!