Police were called to a downtown Binghamton intersection to deal with motorists who were driving on a closed street near City Hall.

State Street will be closed for a few weeks for the walkway removal project. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

The chaotic situation occurred at the intersection of State and Hawley streets as drivers ignored signs and cones that were put into place ahead of a demolition project.

Some motorists opted to drive on a portion of State Street that had been shut down for the planned removal of an old pedestrian walkway.

The detour for southbound traffic was put into place Thursday morning but some motorists drove through the work zone when they observed no activity in the area.

By mid-afternoon, a police unit was dispatched to prevent vehicles from ignoring the signed detour until barricades could be put into place.

Gorick Construction of Binghamton has been hired for the walkway demolition job.

Deputy mayor Jared Kraham Thursday afternoon said crews are mobilizing in preparation for the work. He said the actual demolition is expected to start Monday.

The removal of the unused walkway is being done as part of a State Street improvement project near the Governmental Plaza.

The walkway over State Street has been closed for several years. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.