People who've utilized a travel program that had operated at Binghamton's First Ward Senior Center are disappointed that there may be no trips this year.

Program coordinator Elisabeth Whalen issued a letter to "fellow travelers" informing them that the trip committee no longer had access to the center.

The advisory indicated that city officials offered no reason for the move and answered no questions.

Mayor Richard David in the "Binghamton Now" studio on February 6, 2018. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Mayor Richard David said the city didn't operate the bus trips. He said organizers were advised they would have to use another location.

Speaking on WNBF Radio's Binghamton Now program, the mayor said "there have been some concerns on the city's standpoint" about how the travel operation was being run. He said there were concerns with "the financial operations" of the program "and the city did not want to be associated with that."

The mayor said "they could run those trips anywhere... it doesn't have to be out of the senior center."

Whalen, the program coordinator, said she and trip committee members had called David's office "numerous times" in an effort to set up a meeting with the mayor to discuss the matter. She said the calls had not been returned.

Whalen said more than 500 people participated in about 30 trips organized last year. She said the program for seniors had been in operation since 1962.

Whalen said there have been efforts made to find another site to search as a base for the travel program and it's possible it could eventually resume.

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph:

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.