A Guide to Hot Dog Etiquette
It’s that time of year; we break out the hot dogs while we root on the home team! That and grilling at home.
I am a big hot dog fan (stadium dogs being the best), but I had no idea there was etiquette involved. I thought you grilled them, slapped on condiments and shoved ’em down your gullet. Apparently, there’s more to it than that!
According to the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, yes they really exist, there are some things you need to know before spreading the ‘kraut on. Here are a few items:
1. Never put the condiments on the bun. You always, as they say “dress the dog.”
2. Utensils are not allowed. Always eat them with your hands.
3. Hot dogs should only be served on paper plates. No everyday plates, and heaven forbid, china.
4. It should only take 5 bites to finish a standard hot dog, but 7 if longer.
And my favorite. Sorry Moms!
5. If you have condiments on your hands after you’re done the dog, you must lick them off. Napkins are a no-no. Washing your hands? Absolutely not!
Enjoy grilling season and the dogs! I know I will. Oh! I almost forgot: pinkies out!